Thursday, October 23, 2008

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari

I am absolutely in love with this movie. For those of you who haven't seen it--if you have 51 minutes, or even if you don't--you must watch this movie. Luckily, the full version is on YouTube!

The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari was the first psychological thriller ever made, and highly influenced by German Expresionism.

Even though it is a silent movie, the experimental classical music is very moving. I was particularly interested in the music since I've played violin since I was three. The composer is Timothy Brock, and he worked for many other silent films as well. He's one of those geniuses nobody knows about.

Artists that have been influenced by this film include Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails, director Tim Burton, and pretty much every horror writer/director ever.

The set design is very interesting...I sketched some things in my Moleskine I should share.

1 comment:

Rollomart49 said...

An exceptional film, more watchable than many made since